random image
ForumNewsletterModDBSteam Community
Forum
The STARGATE Mod for Half-Life 2 Community Board
30. April 2017 01:28:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Stargate Mod for Half-Life 2 Community Board!
News: Willkommen im Stargate Mod für Half-Life 2 Community Board!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: December 24, 2013: X-Mas Special 2013  (Read 19187 times)
amogan
Everything Coding
Administrator
Has ascended

i'll eat my candy with the pork and beans

View Profile
« on: 24. December 2013 22:53:20 »

This year has been a busy year here at The STARGATE Mod. Although we haven't presented much we have evidently been hard at work. A significant amount of issues has been fixed and new features have been added but most of these things are hard to talk about if your audience can't play the game and therefore can't appreciate the updates.
Mostly that leaves us with screenshots of environment art or model renders. In that vein here are two images of our new Jaffa character model that we've been working on for so long. The Jaffa are frozen - what else did you expect - in stasis chambers of the Ancients:

Jaffa on Ice
Jaffa on Ice

And since we seem to be putting out one or two videos every other year here's one of those time-lapse development videos (like we've already done with Maceria) of our Roswell47 complex:

Roswell 47 - Stages of Development (2008-2013)

The game is still a ways off from our envisioned final product but already highly playable and great fun as can be attested to by our playtesters and hopefully, soon, by you as well. We would like to take this year's holiday update as an opportunity to announce that we'll be making our game beta publicly available next year.

We'll be doing this in steps. To ensure a smooth release we want to slowly increase the amount of players with access to the game. Everyone who has already applied for testing over the last few years has a good chance to gain early access. You can of course still apply just as well, and here is one important amendment: If you are able to host a Source Engine dedicated server you have a high chance of jumping the waiting list. We need server administrators to host some Stargate Mod servers so that everybody can get a slot and play once this goes public. And once we've successfully tested how our shipping tools and the game itself handle under larger player numbers and everything works out we should be able to go fully public without a hitch.

Thank you all for your interest and support, we hope you're looking forward to 2014 as much as we are. Now let us send you off into the holidays with some screenshots of a previously undisclosed planet called Hertea. Merry X-Mas and a happy new year!

Temple of the Gods
Stairway to the Temple
Behind the Stargate
Ruins
Ruins in the Desert
Tomb of the Pharao

Read the F.A.Q. - Use the Forum-Search feature - Contact Information - Available Job Positions: [en] [de]

Source Jesus to the rescue!!

Skillmaster: yes, I wanted to prove it just yet clear run times, because "Know Thyself" knows not everyone, so I wanted to be literally translated.
Hunne_128: i can englisch very god
Paulos
Beta Tester
Travels through space

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25. December 2013 01:07:25 »

You are truly doing magnificent progress, considering how small your team is. In the past, I've been playing a lot of SGTLS and, since these times, I'm patiently waiting for your work to come public.

There is just one small question; are you going to release a Linux-playable version of the mod? I mean not just dedicated server (which, until recently, was enough for many games), but a full mod for SteamOS and Ubuntu and other. I hope you already thought about it, I'm currently using Gentoo and I'd like to play the mod as well. Of course only if it wouldn't be a great burden for the team. Smiley

Thanks and keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: 25. December 2013 01:09:07 by Paulos » Logged
amogan
Everything Coding
Administrator
Has ascended

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25. December 2013 01:38:33 »

Hey Paulos, thank you Smiley

We have thought about porting the game to Linux. With the new Source Engine version (2013) this is possible and we'll definitely look into creating both MacOS and Linux client builds of the mod in the future.
However we're currently still using the 2007 version because the 2013 one still has a few bugs that we're not so fond of and VALVe is pretty slow with updating apparently (they just stopped updating or commenting on requests for over two months or so - but now they're back so yay). One of those issues, which would have prevented us from properly building our custom shaders, has actually been resolved today.

Right now I can't even say whether our first public release will be on the 2013 engine or not so we'll have to see. I'll be sure to post an update if we have one. But in the future we'd definitely like to support Linux (and MacOS maybe, but none of our programmers have a Mac so... Linux first Wink).

Read the F.A.Q. - Use the Forum-Search feature - Contact Information - Available Job Positions: [en] [de]

Skillmaster: yes, I wanted to prove it just yet clear run times, because "Know Thyself" knows not everyone, so I wanted to be literally translated.
Paulos
Beta Tester
Travels through space

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25. December 2013 02:23:02 »

Hi amogan,
thanks for such a sweet response. I know that Valve is sometimes a little slow  Cheesy but considering your endurance, I'm not worried. Though I guess I'll still need to have some tinkering with Wine, until the necessary work is done. Smiley
Jaqarll
Discovered the gate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25. December 2013 19:37:08 »

Great to hear that this excellent mod will finally see the light of day. Smiley
ScreamJohnson
Discovered the gate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31. December 2014 12:40:51 »

Hi, I am new here and I've not read everything so shoot me down if this has already been suggested. But Garry's Mod (which originated as a Half Life 2 mod) has a Stargate Addon/Mod called Carter's Addon Pack. Why don't you work with those guys and then you could possibly use their code and models. They're desperately looking for new coders too. I think that if you two could join forces you could improve upon both Mods greatly. Just a thought.
Mar-o-Thy
Discovered the gate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31. December 2014 13:16:27 »

From what I've red and heard (red mostly, cause I've never actually spoken with those people) CAP is currently on a hiatus due to the members being busy with real life etc.
One of the few who're still active, is AlexALX who I also happen to have in my steam list along with one of their (former?) texture artists, Rafaël De Jongh, who's almost never satisfied with anything others do. xD
« Last Edit: 31. December 2014 13:21:23 by Mar-o-Thy » Logged

"Don't be lasagne." - 12th. Doctor
amogan
Everything Coding
Administrator
Has ascended

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31. December 2014 15:37:43 »

One of our modelers used to work on CAP before if I recall correctly and Rafaël De Jongh has been on our team for a short while. They've also received help from us at some points.

Regarding the issue of sharing code: Both projects have vastly different goals and are different styles of games. Also they write their code in LUA I believe and we use C++ mostly.

Just an FYI, I'll move these posts into their own topic later on. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: