random image
ForumNewsletterModDBSteam Community
Forum
The STARGATE Mod for Half-Life 2 Community Board
17. September 2014 03:29:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Stargate Mod for Half-Life 2 Community Board!
News: Willkommen im Stargate Mod für Half-Life 2 Community Board!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: December 7, 2011: Introducing FN-P90  (Read 34852 times)
amogan
Everything Coding
Administrator
Has ascended

i'll eat my candy with the pork and beans

View Profile
« on: 07. December 2011 04:28:29 »

It is that time again. Holiday season is almost upon us bringing joy, presents and food for all... who celebrate it. If you don't: fear not - just like previous years you'll get something special from us. Everyone will for that matter. You'll have to wait a couple more day though, but the time is nigh.
Of course we're not just posting this news to tease you we also have something to sweeten your wait and it's quite the thing actually. Oh scratch that it's super awesome in its own right! See for yourself...

Today we're going to present to you our FN-P90 - the flagship weapon of the Stargate series. Small, lightweight and with a high firing rate this "PDW" (Personal Defense Weapon) is the weapon of choice for SG-1 and can be spotted in almost every episode.

P90 Roswell47
P90 sideways Roswell47
P90 PondXL
P90 Reddot Abydos

That and the high standard of quality we're going for with our game means we can't just throw in some laxly crafted P90 model all willy-nilly. Reason enough to add some crazy features such as a realistically simulated magazine - it being transparent and all:

(hands and animations in this video are placeholders)

This way the player not only gets ammo feedback from the HUD but can also see it right there on the weapon itself.

The quality of the model itself is important as well. To that end our creation process - much like AAA studios - had the P90 built as a high-poly and a low-poly model which then allowed us with the use of todays technology to transfer fine detail (round corners, scratches, screws, etc.) from the high-poly model to a 'normal map' texture. Put on the low-poly model this normalmap produces the illusion of a highly detailed weapon.

Left selection Wireframe Right selection
Drag the cursor over the image to blend between the selected images.

We did not stint on textures either. Next to the diffuse map (color information) and the normal map (surface detail) we have specular and gloss maps. The former controls how much each part of the weapon reflects light while the latter dictates the softness of the reflection. That way we can better define the materials that make up our P90.

We hope you've enjoyed this news and would welcome it if you'd vote us into the ModDB Top 100! Wink
Stay tuned for more updates this month. See you soon!

Read the F.A.Q. - Use the Forum-Search feature - Contact Information - Available Job Positions: [en] [de]

Source Jesus to the rescue!!

Skillmaster: yes, I wanted to prove it just yet clear run times, because "Know Thyself" knows not everyone, so I wanted to be literally translated.
Hunne_128: i can englisch very god
XXLpeanuts
Discovered the gate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08. December 2011 00:45:08 »

P-90 looks good, but im going to be honest, WHO decided upon the reload animation?

Noone in the history of p-90 use, especially on stargate shows or the films, not one person has ever reloaded like that, EVERYONE holds the weapon with their right hand, like natural, and loads the magazine with their left, watch the show if ya dont believe me..............fail
amogan
Everything Coding
Administrator
Has ascended

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08. December 2011 00:55:25 »

(hands and animations in this video are placeholders)

Roll Eyes

Read the F.A.Q. - Use the Forum-Search feature - Contact Information - Available Job Positions: [en] [de]

Skillmaster: yes, I wanted to prove it just yet clear run times, because "Know Thyself" knows not everyone, so I wanted to be literally translated.
Avernikas
Beta Tester
Discovered the gate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11. December 2011 18:46:55 »

Really love the model, it's the best I've ever seen.  Can't wait to try it out! Smiley

sora
Discovered the gate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24. December 2011 04:18:33 »

3 questions:
1. which program do u use to model?
2. If you're using an Autodesk program, i assume you used the bake function.
3. I want in, even though i am an amateur in modeling, and texturing.

note: i dont actually use steam or have half-life 2
Kradath
« Reply #5 on: 29. January 2012 14:02:25 »

Great model, honestly. It looks amazing. I hope the staff weapon will get the same kind of love as well.

I know, it's a placeholder, but it's cute how the mag he removes and puts in again is obviously the same one. Cheesy
Sidewinder
Leader, Team Management
Administrator
Has ascended

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29. January 2012 14:13:36 »

I know, it's a placeholder, but it's cute how the mag he removes and puts in again is obviously the same one. Cheesy

The player only has three magazines by default. So this is intended and not a placeholder.

"Inside" you say? Well, let me tell you my friend, there is no "inside", just a whole lotta "outside"... (O'Neill, 7x21 Lost City (1))
Kradath
« Reply #7 on: 29. January 2012 14:20:33 »

No, what I mean is that all the three times he reloads and puts the mag "away" you see a bit of it still in the picture thus you see that all the 3 times reloading it's always the same magazine he uses.

Edit: To fully create the illusion the animation should go far enough so you don't see that it is the same mag again.
Sidewinder
Leader, Team Management
Administrator
Has ascended

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29. January 2012 14:32:08 »

I see. Yes, that is of course that will be / is already fixed.

"Inside" you say? Well, let me tell you my friend, there is no "inside", just a whole lotta "outside"... (O'Neill, 7x21 Lost City (1))
amogan
Everything Coding
Administrator
Has ascended

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29. January 2012 21:23:17 »

The reason behind this is actually also that those old placeholder animations were designed for 4:3 aspect ratio and the video was recorded in wide-screen resulting in you seeing more that you actually should and in this case means that the magazin does not go fully off-screen. -.-

Grin

Kradath
« Reply #10 on: 29. January 2012 21:36:59 »

That explains it, hehe. As said, as they're just placeholders it is simply funny and no real issue. Who made the model by the way?
amogan
Everything Coding
Administrator
Has ascended

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30. January 2012 02:23:50 »

Our talented lead artist Pac_187, who also posted the German version of this news, made it.

d10sfan
Discovered the gate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29. April 2012 15:49:44 »

Very nice, like the extra detail of seeing the magazine being depleted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: